[Sca-cooks] Queston on Musical cooking

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 22 22:23:43 PST 2002

From: johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
>I tend to cook with the tv on. I can
>remember doing Clancy Day prep work with
>the NCAA basketball tournament on...
>
>I am listening to the US/USSR hockey game at the
>moment... for this list you might ask what
>we listen to when we e-mail?

I listen to one of my many available local NPR stations. It has
mostly locally produced music shows on after 7 or 8 PM which are very
different every evening. I listen to most of them. When i check mail
in the AM, there's Morning Edition and Fresh Air.

bill mayfield wrote:
>>      Here's a queston off the beaten path......
>        What ,if any, music do you listen to while
>      you cook?
>      For me I like a variety...Classical,Hard Rock,
>        even some 60s and 70s.
>      whats odd tho is I do my best "learning" or
>        first attempt recipe's to Metallica....
>  >    Aethelwulf

I don't usually listen to music when i cook.

Sometimes i have someone bring a boom-box to a feast kitchen, and i
bring lively period (Istampitta and such like, as well as any of
several recordings by Gregorio Paniagua and the Atrium Musicae de
Madrid (somewhat eccentric and creative interpretations, each album
having either a geographic-temporal or a musical-thematic focus)) and
peri-oid music, as well as some Near Eastern (but not belly dance)
music - one of my favorites is anything by Radio Tarifa - they even
do some Medieval stuff. During one feast - in the AM while we were
cooking, some of us were boogie-ing to whatever i had on - possibly
the Dufay Collective (or a name something like that).

Personally i own all sorts of music, mostly not of the pop variety (i
consider rock of almost any sort as in the pop category), although i
do have some synth-techno-dance-y stuff (pop) that energizes me.
Modern Klezmer is also good - The Flying Bulgar Klezmer Orchestra or
the Klezmatics, but then there are American regional Klezmer bands
like one whose name i'm forgetting from New Orleans where they
combine Second Line rhythms and beats with Klezmer, for example...

Anyone have any favorite songs with Food as a main feature?

Anahita