[Sca-cooks] How long do eggs keep?

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 01:36:14 PST 2002

--- tboroson <tboroson at netcarrier.com> wrote:

> I often buy eggs and let them sit
> at least a week or two before hard-boiling them,
> because they're easier to peel if they're not fresh.
>  I wouldn't worry about them.

If, for some reason, you need to hard-boil fresh eggs
(I just happen to like fresh- from- the- hen eggs, and
will try to get them as fresh as possible-
particularly if I'm deviling them and don't want
dents), start cold eggs in cold water, bring up to
temp and hold until hard boiled, then quickly drain
and hit them with quantities of cold water to cool.
This will make them easy to peel, and the yolks remain
bright yellow.

If you save the boiling water, when cool, houseplants
love it, and it will make up a really nice cup of
coffee- the dissolved calcium from the shell is enough
to add some for the plants, and it tends to clarify
coffee. Also is useful in stocks....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,