[Sca-cooks] Placebos.

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Sun Feb 24 03:49:04 PST 2002

> Doesn't prescribing a placebo and telling the patient kinda cancel the
> point?

Of course it does. Nonetheless, it is unethical to give a patient a placebo
as directed therapy. It's another thing altogether to tell a patient "We're
enrolling you in a study, and you may get the drug or you may get a placebo.
No one knows. These are the risks and benefits if you get the drug, these
are the risks if you get the placebo (or if you don't go into the study).
These are the risks of the "standard of care" therapy, and its success rate.
Are you willing to roll the dice?"

Avraham