[Sca-cooks] EK 12th Night

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 24 13:40:04 PST 2002

Also sprach Jane & Mark Waks:
>Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
>>  >> I hope that you are planning to share with us your recipes, esp those for
>>  >> the garlic sauce, the pork and bird pie, the blankmange of fish,and the
>>  >> fruit and cheese pie. Yummers.
>>  >> Devra the Baker
>>
>>  I'm woikin' on it, I'm woikin' on it.
>
>Hey, did I miss these?  In particular, the excellent garlic sauce, which
>my whole table happily sopped up the whole bowl of?
>
>(If not your recipe, a source note so I could go chase it?  I remember
>talking with you after the feast about the garlic sauce, but durned if I
>remember where you said it was from.)

No, you didn't miss these. Real life intervention, etc. I expect to
start posting the recipes a few at a time this week, unless
unforeseen rannygazoo occurs.

The garlic sauce was sauce gauncile, from Ashmole 1439, a.k.a. Book
Three (of five) of the _Two_ 15th-Century Cookery-Books ;-)

Basically it is a garlic flavored, saffron-colored, white sauce, one
of the few in the Anglo-French medieval recipe corpus that is
thickened with flour. I cheated, when I wanted to speed things up on
the day, so instead of cooking the garlic till it was completely
soft, I strained most of it out, pureed it, and returned it to the
sauce. Under other circumstances I might have done it differently,
but it apparently did the job.

Adamantius