[Sca-cooks] Sources of Protein

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 28 17:45:34 PST 2002

Also sprach jenne at fiedlerfamily.net:
>Hi, I'm hoping y'all can help me with brainstorming.
>
>A small minority of fighters complain that our summer event dayboard
>doesn't have the protein they need because they won't eat eggs or cheese
>(the two proteins we tend to put out) while they are fighting.
>Now, yes, I know they are whining. But I like to accomodate people if I
>can. (I've already got plans for sugar free drink options, all right?)
>
>Chicken was what I had in mind, but roasting and cutting up 100 lbs of
>chicken into little bits and then keeping them carefully refrigerated to
>serve in very small bowls is going to be a hassle I'm beginning to
>think I'd rather do without.
>
>Nuts are out because of nut allergies (people tend to eat this dayboard
>with their hands, btw, which means spreading of oils all over the place).
>(Yes, I could do that, but it would mean fighting with ANOTHER group of
>militants...)
>
>The fighters of the East develop snouts and little curly tails-- and
>sometimes tusks-- in the presence of beef, ham, or sausage so I don't
>think we can afford enough to be sure everyone gets a little!
>
>What protein sources am I overlooking?

Got milk?

Seriously, though, I think the vocal minority with whom you're
dealing will, literally, never be satisfied with anything but
hunks-o-beef, because the purpose of the whining is to intimidate you
into providing exactly that. There will be something wrong with
absolutely anything that isn't hunks of boneless meat.

And frankly, while fighting well is hard work, are the majority of
SCA fighters sufficiently in shape that a high-protein dayboard on
the day of the workout will really make much of a difference?

Of course, you can explain to them that since their protein needs are
high and your budget is small, and you have access to a good deal on
pickled herring...

And I could see that you do. For that, I'll purchase and bring the
herring to Southern Region War Camp. Bone in, of course. But somehow,
I suspect the demand will not be high, more's the pity, especially
since the ladies at the Ukrainian Homestead would probably love them.
;-)

Actually, you might consider Phlip's jerky idea. It's not that hard
to make, and you have, what, 4.5 months to make the stuff?

Adamantius