[Sca-cooks] Tea

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 28 19:13:25 PST 2002

Also sprach Shannon L. Cox:
>--
>Oh i don't know i think one of the best adventages one could have is
>having your father in law be full blooded englishman who came over
>met his wife and stayed.... my husband and kids all have dual
>citizenship... the family spends alot of time traipsing from here to
>there to visit the relatives.... so every time one of goes over we
>bring back boxes and boxes of fine yorkshire black tea, scones
>shortbread and guiness... gotta love them english
>sionnan

At the risk of seeming (and inaccurately so) like a poopy spoil-sport
non-Anglophile, what does Guinness have to do with England? Unless
Dublin has moved a bit to the North... (Mackeson's, on the other
hand...) Actually, now that I think of it, none of the items you
mention, except perhaps the tea, which may be blended and packaged in
England, actually _come_, originally or exclusively, from there.
Maybe the shortbread... but yes, all these items are wonderful and
are available in England, but then they're also available down the
street from my apartment building in Woodside, Queens.

Let's see now. What are some "English" goodies that actually _are_
English? Kean's Cheddar comes to mind. York ham. Various chocolate
products. Devonshire cream. Various tea blends, which is how we got
into this discussion, are created in England, even though the actual
tea is presumably from places like India and China. Old Peculier Ale,
not to mention Samuel Smith's Tadcaster Porter. Good marmalades,
although Scots ones are just as good...

But then, steak-and-kidney pie in a can is also available as an
import from England, so it all balances out ;-)

Adamantius