[Sca-cooks] Dried meat in period?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Feb 28 22:45:59 PST 2002

Phlip said:
> >While I tend to agree with Brangwayna, have you
> >considered dried meat, like jerky?

For those looking for directions and recipes for making dried
meats, see this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
drying-foods-msg  (45K)  1/12/01    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/drying-foods-msg.html

> To bring this back to questions of historical cookery ...  .
>
> What information do we have on the use of dried meat in period?
> Stockfish was certainly common. Anything closer?

Yes. We've discussed this previously. Here are two messages from the
above file. One of them is even from you. :-)

Have you had a chance to check out Ahsan's referances further? I'd
certainly be willing to add any message that clarifies or corrects
your message below.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net