[Sca-cooks] Re: Cheese Type?

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Tue Jan 1 09:59:34 PST 2002

Alys Katharine asked:
>What other type of soft cheese might have been available rather than using
cream cheese?
  What about ricotta?  <

        I don't know.  "Good, soft cheese, not too old"    I had thought
curd type cheese as being too "new" so cottage, farmers & ricotta is too
new.  And as I had said, I was thinking of a soft smooth blandish cheese.
It just so happened that cream cheese was on sale, so that also  figured
into the reasoning.    Now, what  *is*  beyond curds, yet "not too old", I
don't know.  Amazingly, my _Joy of Cooking_  and  _Fannie Farmer_  are
silent on types of cheeses.

    Making my own soft cheese is not yet a possibility  {tho something I do
want to try}so for now, I can only use commercial cheeses available in my
small town grocers.

    Tho learning more about cheeses (types) would be the way to go to try
other variations/ make the various period cheese baked goodies.  What
{commercial} cheeses to others use?

    Caointiarn