[Sca-cooks] King Midas Feast

Hrolf Douglasson Hrolf at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 1 11:55:44 PST 2002

I have just watched a Very Interesting programme on a recreation of the
burial feast from King Midas' tomb(700BC)
I know it is a little out of period but was fascinating to see a modern cook
recreating from the archeological evidence. The ingredients and method of
cooking were obtainable from the remains because the tomb had been sealed
air tight.
A lamb/ kid stew with grapes, apricots and spices and honey. The meat had
been spit roasted/ barbequed before adding to the stew. This allowed the
stew to be replenished all day without raw meat being added.
It was amusing to see the cook worried about feeding vast numbers (100+),
but it was all cooked on animal dung fires. It eventually fed nearly 350 as
people just turned up. This made the stew the most efficient form of food.
The golden beer was fascinating.......wine, beer, honey and saffron mixed
into a punch.
If it comes on in America, try and catch the programme.
regards
vara