[Sca-cooks] Need help finding my preserving recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 1 20:24:21 PST 2002

Gunthar said:
> I have planned on teaching a symposium on period meat
> preservation including various brine types like
> Lord's Salt. Unfortunately I've gone through my
> books and can't find the bloody passages! I know I
> have them somewhere, including a great recipe for
> preserving oysters, but can't seem to locate them now
> that I need 'em.
>
> Could anyone give me a pointer as to where these may
> be located? I can get the Lord's Salt from Duke Cariadoc's
> page but the others I can't find.

I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for. But here are a
few of the files in the Florilegium you might check:
In the FOOD section:
food-storage-msg  (85K)  6/ 8/00    Storing and preserving food in period. Non-
                                      refrigerated food for camping and Pennsic.
Lrds-Salt-Exp-art (15K)  9/11/00    "Lord's Salt Experiment" by Lady Hauviette
                                       d'Anjou.
pickled-food-msg  (95K)  5/ 7/01    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
potted-foods-msg  (13K)  5/ 9/01    Cooked foods put in pots and sealed w. fat.
Preservng-CMA-art (32K)  1/24/01    "Preserving Foods in the Current Middle
                                       Ages" by Hauviette d'Anjou.

In the FOOD-MEATS section:
meat-smoked-msg   (14K)  4/12/01    Medieval smoked meats. Smoking meats.

These are the ones I think have a fair amount of info on period meat
preservation. There are other files if you aren't as picky about
either "period" or "meat".
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net