[Sca-cooks] truffle oil OOP

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Wed Jan 2 09:35:04 PST 2002

While wandering through one of our local stores about 3 months ago I spotted and bought a small (less than 2oz) bottle of white truffle oil.
I thought "I wonder what truffles really taste like?" so I spent $15 to find out.
My problem  is that the taste and aroma are so BIG that I simply don't know what to serve this with.  The bottle says to serve with vegetables, fish and meats.  Not really very useful.
I sprinkled some (a few drops only) on some mushroom risotto I made.  The problem was it then tasted like truffles, the oil completely overpowered any other flavor.
So my question is to all you good gentles.  Have you ever used truffle oil?  What on and in what amount?  Having paid so much for the experience I would like to make the best of it.  But it is so overpowering I am stumped.
Helewyse de Birkestad