[Sca-cooks] ...thoughts on period-style food?

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 06:44:37 PST 2002

Anahita asked:  OK, what is your interpretation of spiced to suit
modern tastes?

  The phrase was used by a Lady whom I highly respect. I believe that
she meant that it wasn't heavily salted, and had more of a sweetness
than is usual in a 'chicken stew' of the 21st century. I tried not to
let any one spice predominate, so perhaps that had something to do with
it.

   I'm not really sure that *I* know what it means. I'm still in the
learning stages when it comes to cooking 'authentically' <g>.  I'm
trying to learn what that means, and developing a different 'taste
expectation' seems to be part of the process.

 I am able to feed people (and not have too many complaints), with food
that looks like it -might- have been served in period, and tastes good.
 I don't try to pass this off as 'authentic', just as a good meal.  If
(when) I learn to get closer to what was served in the 14-15th century,
this will be a good thing. I've tried to work with the books I've got,
and have become a regular at the local Cook's Guild, but it's a slow
process.

>I am not baiting you.
No offense offered, none taken.  I'm willing to listen to input from
all sources, and the best way to find out is to ask.  Maybe someone out
there has a better answer, or at least a different take on the subject.
Anybody else want to jump in here ?

Bethra