[Sca-cooks] Irish beef, cattle

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 13:25:38 PST 2002

In a message dated 12/25/01 1:56:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> However, that is today, not necessarily in period. Secondly, even
> if those are definitely cows and in Ireland, that just says they
> are Irish Cows. Not necessarily Irish Beef. If the cattle get shipped
> elsewhere, say England, before being turned into beef, is that Irish
> Beef or English Beef?

Okay so this is REALLY LATE, and I'm sorry if it's already been answered, but
the Tales Of Cuchalain (sp?) clearly state that one of the primarly reasons
for war between Ulster and Connaught was the cattle raid. Meaebh wanted the
Brown Bull of Cooley as a prize and the men of Connaught got it back. So yeah
there were cattle in Ireland in period.

Also of interest are the Coos of Highland Scotland. They are furry cattle,
look almost like small hairy bison.

Finn