[Sca-cooks] I obviously need medication

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Mon Jan 14 06:33:45 PST 2002

I realized tonight just how insane I am.
After playing with medieval recipes for a while and turning up at a couple of demonstrations with two or three dishes to taste my willingness to help spread.
Someone from another group (a proto incipient canton with about 7 members) came to me and said.  "Would you help us with a demo and cook food for 25 people".  Sure I said it should be no problem.
Well today I went to see the location of the "Feast".
The facilites are as follows:
A covered outdoor porch 15' * 40' with a couple of picnic tables.
A "kitchen" counter 2' * 6' with 6 electrical outlets.
No water, no sink, no stove in short nothing but a room.

With all this in mind I am still planning on cooking a 3 course dinner for 25 people.
I have one two burner coleman stove (fuel) that I can set up outside and should be getting another.
Someone is bringing a microwave and I will have two roasters and a bunch (6) crockpots.
What I figured I would have to do is prep most of the food in advance and warm it up on site by bunging it in a pan on the coleman stove outside (in February in Ohio).  The event will be on a Sunday night

So the tentative menu looks like this
First course
Bread (baked Saturday morning)
Pies of Parys (served cold, baked either Friday night or Saturday afternoon)
Gourd in pottage (served hot, cooked Friday or Saturday and refridgerated)
Benes yfryed (prepped in advance, finished on site Sunday)
Second course
More bread
Roast chicken with sauce (up for suggestion on which one)  (chicken cooked as late as possible on sunday and kept hot in roaster, sauce pre-made and reheated on site)
Herb or cheese pie (possible torte bolognase, served cold)
Third course
Applemoyle (apples cooked and pureed in advance, dish finished on site, served hot)
Candied oranges (I strt tomorrow)
A surprise for the hosting group, their arms in marzipan, inspired by Olwens beautiful 12th night arms.  (I had to do one soteltie, and this should be doable in advance)
To drink
This is in a park facility, so no intoxicants.
we figured the unperiod: water and ice.
White grape juice (substitution for wine)
Sankanjebum (or some other tea type thing)

All and any suggestions are welcomed and absolutely encouraged.  I tried to give a balanced idea of a typical medieval meal based on what was served first second and last.
I also tried to keep the number of dishes requiring last minute preparation to a minimum as I am going to be working without a kitchen (we have better facilities in our camp at Pennsic!).
Yours having realized her insanity.
Helewyse de Birkestad