[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1268 - 18 msgs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Jan 14 10:00:47 PST 2002

Check back in the archives for just after spring coronation, I did a batch
of experimentation with another al qata'if dish, and posted some ramblings
on the subject.

I still make the same dish, but people in my household call it 'persian
lasagna' as it is ground almonds, qata'if, rosewater, syrup all layered
together and saffron rubbed chicken [and duck in one particular case]
roasted over it so the drippings add to the dish. I had lots of duck
drippings that I turned into extra syrup for when I made it for Phlip's
birthday at Pennsic. Sweet, rose-y and saffron-y and rich with drippings....

I found it was best with lavash as an impromptu qata'if. In the cookbook I
was using [Cariadoc's al Bagdadi] qata'if is described in terms that make it
sound like a definite flat pancaky type bread [and mentioned that it was
frequently rolled up.]
margali

the quote starts here:
As for baqlawa, there are recipes in Medieval Arabic cookbooks that
call for layering *something* that is made with wheat flour - exactly
what is not quite clear (is it phyllo-like? pancake-like?
bread-like?) - with chopped nuts and honey and rosewater. Some are
called Qata'if, which is rather different than modern qati'if (which
is shredded wheat-like). In any event, the finished product at the
very *least* resembles baqlawa, and if the flat wheat flour product
is close to Moroccan warqa, it will also be close to phyllo, and much
closer to baqlawa...