[Sca-cooks] lampreys

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Jan 14 16:16:34 PST 2002

Adamantius said:
> Which treatises, had King John read and observed them more carefully,
> might have saved his life. Seems he ate a surfeit of peaches and
> apricots, and they turned into lampreys in his stomach and killed him.

Huh? I thought a "surfeit of peaches" meant he ate too many. So
what does it mean? And what do lampreys have to do with this?

Do lampreys hatch from inside peaches and apricots? I thought
lampreys, were like Romoras and the danger was them attaching to
your outside.

We have eel recipes, and in fact in medieval times they seemed to
have raised them in ponds much as we do catfish. Are there some
period lamprey recipes? Where would you get lampreys today? And if
there are recipes, has anyone served them at an SCA feast? (As
opposed to sending one to your ex's divorce lawyer...)

Stefan li Rous