[Sca-cooks] Nasty flavors- was period mashed turnips

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 18:09:38 PST 2002

The food that most repels me, so far, is kidneys. If i wanted to eat
in a urinal, i would.

However, as for food tastes that i just don't like, add me to the
anise list. Don't like pastis, either - that's an anise flavored
liqueur commonly drunk in Southern France - it was concocted, the
story goes, to replace absinthe, which was also highly flavored with
anise. I can tolerate fennel better than anise, but they sure are
close. Too bad, as black ice cream is appealing, but it's usually
anise flavored pseudo-licorice.

Once i tasted *real* licorice - that woody twiggy thing, not that
nasty, chewy, anise flavored, black stuff - i found that i can
tolerate the *real* thing - not that i actually like.

I heartily disliked cooked bell peppers when i was a kid, but i don't
mind them as much now, and fresh ripe red ones are way better than
fresh green ones, to me - i actually like to eat raw red ones.
Although i'm not nuts about raw green ones, i will eat them if
they're in some dish with other ingredients. I used to really object
to the taste of "Chicken a la King" as a kid - i think it was the
combination of cooked bell pepper with sherry that i didn't like, but
i can't quite pin it down.

As for sulfurous and bitter flavors... well, one of my very most
favoritest smells is hot tar... really... Nothing like strolling
around the La Brea Tarpits on a hot summer day. Mmm-mmm-mmm. And when
they're tarring a roof, "my nose goes up like an in-field fly" (quote
from some talkin' blues thing from the late 60's or early 70's)

Sulfurous foods are ok and bitter bothers me less than sweet.

I was quite fond of Brussels sprouts as a child, but i never much
cared for cole slaw, though, because it was always too sweet.

Still, i'd rather eat chocolate (extra-dark bittersweet :-) There are
quite a few so-called spurious "dark" chocolates that i don't care
for, such as those made by Hershey's and Paul Newman - they're too
sweet.

I prefer those with over 55 per cent cocoa mass. Valrhona makes some
good, dark, and way too expensive chocolate bars from 65 to 70 per
cent... i indulge a couple times a year.
http://www.valrhona.com
warning: lots of Flash! graphics

But more often i buy Green and Black's Organic Maya Gold bar - it's
dark, 55 per cent chocolate solids, seasoned with vanilla, cinnamon,
and orange, made from organically grown cacao that G&B purchase
directly from small growers, not from big corp. Chocolate i don't
have to feel guilty about :-) I buy it at the health food store.
http://www.greenandblacks.com/home/default.php4

I may be a chocoholic, but not just any chocolate will do.

Anahita
bitter and sour, yum
sweet, ick