[Sca-cooks] RE: elk, and eggs

Weems, Lora Lora.Weems at ssa.gov
Wed Jan 23 11:59:58 PST 2002

Leofwynn atte Gos said:
> Hi, everyone, I am back from my hunting trip.  It was very successful
> (2 elk, for 2 hunters).  I finished processing the meat yesterday.

Wow! Nice trade. You even came out with more meat that way, unless
they were very skinny elk or very large hunters...  :-)

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net

Har-de-har har.  And to think I was going to bring you some,
next month when I go to New Braunfels....(what is your address/
phone?)

Obviously, 2 people hunting.  Altho, didn't we have a
thread here awile back, about Polish Hunter Stew?
Would that taste different, if we used Texas Hunters?

In a later msg, same digest
Stefan li Rous wrote:

 > I assume that the amount of time to whip/beat eggs is proportional to
the number of eggs more or less. I think I was whipping eggs to
 > make "snow" to use with some wafers. It certainly seemed like I
 > had whipped them enough, but maybe I didn't. I think the redaction
 > said whip until stiff. Any one have some estimates for X amount of
 > eggs how long it should take to get to various stages?
 >
 > I think the main problem when I did the snow was probably that I
 > got the whites contaminated with some egg yolks, but this other
 > knowledge might be useful for a number of things.

You also may have had some form of fat (even residue on a plastic bowl,
the best reason to use glass, copper or stainless steel)

I also found out that duck egg whites don't EVER whip up.  They never get
stiff, like chicken whites.  (Don't know why, and if anyone has any ideas
I would like to know)

I have British book, 'Poultry and Game', which has a list of all sorts of
eggs, and how long to cook to hard-cooked stage.  (Penguin egg white stays
clear, even when done; and can be used in place of anchovies.  I guess that
some people can get penguin eggs easier than they can get anchovies?)

Does anyone have any references to quail, duck, goose, or peacock eggs used
in period, in a different manner than the hen eggs?  (these are the types of

birds I have)For instance, I pickle the quail eggs, or serve them
hard-boiled,
cut in half, and seasoned, at parties. (They taste the same as hard-boiled
chicken eggs, but are about 1/2 inch long. They disappear very quickly).

Leofwynn