[Sca-cooks] wafers

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 26 13:54:23 PST 2002

Johnnae llyn Lewis said:
> Food and Drink in Medieval Poland by Dembinska with
> recipes by William Woys Weaver does contain a saffron
> wafer suggested by medieval Polish cuisine. Barbara
> Wheaton's Savoring the Past contains Bonnefons 17th
> century sugar and honey wafers. Neither, however,
> perfectly fit the dietary requirements that were listed
> here. Both as in the recipe I gave would require further
> tweaking to fulfill the dietary restrictions.

I've tried the redaction for wafers given by William Woys
Weaver, and while it tasted wonderful, I never could get it
to come out as a wafer. It tended to fracture into many pieces and
while not sticking to my iron, it stuck to the iron better than it
did to itself.

The proportions of sugar to flour are quite different from those
given in other recipes that did work in my iron. And my iron has
a non-stick coating.

If anyone else has tried the wafer redaction in Food and Drink in
Medieval Poland, I would very much like to hear the results they
got, whether bad or good.

It was also for a small luncheon for the Royalty that I first tried
this wafer recipe. I ended up making and serving wafers for this
meal, but I ended up using a different recipe. And I'm still trying
to bring the custom of wafers to Ansteorra as I can.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net