[Sca-cooks] Results of a recent dayboard

Sudden Service #5 sudnserv5 at netway.com
Wed Jan 30 07:15:19 PST 2002

Hej!
    Just a short note to let you know about a recent Day Board Sigrid & I
did for the Scribal Symposium in Carolingia (East Kingdom).  Sigrid made 2
large pots of Soups (a Beef Barley & a Vegetarian Lentil), as well as some
tasty Spiced Nuts.  My contributions to the menu were: Brie Tart (PD#1),
Tart for Ember Day (PD#3), Frumenty (PD#47), Pies of Paris (PD#109), Boiled
Garlic (TTKT pg 75), Almond Tart (ES pg 125), Rapeye (TATEOM),   Syrup of
Sakanjabin (CM), Lime Ginger Drink (SF), Barley Viking Flatbread (Gunora the
Viking Answer Lady's web site), Assorted flavored butters (Blue Cheese
butter, Honey butter, Dill Herb butter, Sage Herb butter), Small Pies
(TATEOM).  I used the Flaky Pie Pastry (TATEOM) for all the pie & tart
crust.  For some photos of the dishes (as well as other events of the day)
check out http://rosadioro.8m.com/scribal/ . The big hits of the day were
the Tart for Ember Day (next time I will cut the onions a bit smaller) & the
Almond Tart (which I did with the Raspberry Jam option).  There were very
few left overs.  I learned a lot doing this event.  For one thing, when
making the Viking Flat Bread, the proportion of water to barley flour is
very exact.  If you are off only a little bit in the measure of either you
wind up with either paste or dry clumps that won't hold together.
    I was very thankful for the assistance that Rhonwen & Richenza provided
me on the Pre Cook day.  Emmanuelle was the person who made the great Fresh
Cheese.  I didn't have to do much clean up work in the kitchen thanks to the
kitchen helpers some of whom were Eowyn of Alewife Brook, Preston of
Aschehyrst (the Autocrat was in the kitchen washing dishes for part of the
day!), Tadatsune, and Rowan Kalkin.
Pax,
Olaf