[Sca-cooks] food safety - chickens

Kim Schab madchefla at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 13:39:49 PST 2002

Someone once explained to me that the younger age of
the chickens, and
the
feed they usualy are on, causes the fact they can
remain reddish at the
bone in the legs.  This is not a "I know for sure",
just an explanation
was once given by an actual Food Health and Hygiene
Inspector in
Huntsville, Ontario.  There is often no way to cook
that out of the
meat in
question.

It can also have to do with the cooking technique
used.  Sometimes if you have a lot of moisture in
roasting (doing a lot of product together or actually
braising) you end up with redness at the joint as
well.  Or pink in the meat, even when it is a point
(juices run clear) or the thermometer reads done.

Al

=====
"Optimism is a force multiplier."  Colin Powell

Always remember, stressed is just desserts spelled backwards :)