[Sca-cooks] what are your thoughts on period-style food?

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Jan 1 18:18:25 PST 2002

>Speculation is fine so long as it is
>clearly identified as such.

Yes, it is good to properly identify what game and ball park you're playing :-)

>For myself, as a means of learning about period food, I will never get
>tired of the actual, surviving recipes. It's not like I'm going to run
>out of them in my lifetime, which is why my teeth itch when people tell
>me, "Been there, done that, now I want to expand beyond the narrow
>confines of slavishly following period recipes."

And then there are fools like me who never follow recipes, "period" or
not.  Unless of course I bake, then I tend to be a little more particular
about following the recipe! :-)

It's not that I find period recipes bad, I just find I have a problem
following a recipe in general.  I much prefer to use the recipe as an
inspiration than anything else.  Of course, if I'm cooking "period", then I
don't throw in extra ingredients and do my best to follow the technique
provided.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom