[Sca-cooks] what are your thoughts on period-style food?

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Jan 1 19:01:30 PST 2002

>seldom seem to get quantities wrong, though, nor cooking times, because
>I just kind of apply common sense and extrapolate from other dishes I
>know well.

But then, let me play Devil's Advocate here...

What's common sense for circa 2000 is likely not to be the same it was
circa 1500...  To whit, when I was apprenticing in a restaurant, we'd make
bechamel and let it cook for about an hour or two, which is *way* long in
my opinion...  My chef at the time, who was an elderly gentleman (well,
gentle at time, ogre at others) was telling me that when *he* was
apprenticing, in the early 30's, they would cook bechamel for nearly two days!

Ha!  Ain't it fun? :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom