[Sca-cooks] what are your thoughts on period-style food?

Weaver8002 at aol.com Weaver8002 at aol.com
Wed Jan 2 04:24:21 PST 2002

In a message dated 01/01/2002 9:56:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> "Been there, done that, now I want to expand beyond the narrow
> confines of slavishly following period recipes."

How does one "slavishly follow" a recipe that gives you 3 choices of meats
and doesn't tell you what herbs to use?

The cooks guild in Bright Hills once sent out 4 recipes with instructions for
everyone to pick one, make it and bring it to the next meeting.  I picked the
meat dish as did 4-6 of the others.  Each of us made a deistically different
dish.  Seems to me that, if one wants to play fast and loose with a recipe --
the unredacted medieval recipes give you lots of leeway.

Margherita the Weaver - who must get to work sometime this morning