[Sca-cooks] Queens Battle!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 2 08:31:29 PST 2002

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> Yes.  I have a candy mold that is small fluer-de-lies I am trying to figure
> how they would have found this French thing in 14th century Floence as well.
>   Traveling dignitaries?  Wouldn't they have brought escargot too?
> Olwen who secretly hopes the answer is no.

Who says the fleur-de-lei is French? Certainly not exclusively- it is
one of the most popular motifs in Florence- sort of the municipal floral
symbol. The escaorgot I don't know... but weren't the Romans eating
them?

Gotta wonder about the first guy who looked at a snail and said "Hey!
Lookit that slimy thing! I wonder if it's good to eat? Maybe dipped in
butter..."

'Lainie