[Sca-cooks] Cat-tails (was meat "substitutes"- Rant)

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 10:40:43 PST 2002

--- Philip Lewis <flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> So... in a meek attempt to drag this thread kicking
> and screaming back
> on topic...
>
> Are there Medieval recipies for cattails (of the
> pond growing,
> vegitative type, not the furry, under foot,
> animalistic type  although
> our 7 would provide a good supply for the latter
> type. :)

Actually, I understand that cattails are New World,
although I'm not absolutely sure. They do, however,
bear a strong resemblence to papyrus plants, or so I'm
told, but again, I couldn't prove it from personal
experience. Suspect I'd better go play "Reasearch"
although there are several on the List better
qualified than I am.....

> I've not had them, but hear they are edible....  I
> assume it's either
> the leaves, or the seed pods before they turn to
> fluffy seeds...

As I've mentioned before, the roots are quite edible,
if a bit bland- basicly a decent potato substitute.

The pollen, when collected at the right time of year,
makes a decent flour, according to Johan.

Margali just told me that many people eat the pith in
the stems- the latter two bits of information I'm
taking on faith.

But yes, they are edible for all but Adamantii ;-)

Phlip