[Sca-cooks] Cat-tails (was meat "substitutes"- Rant)

John Husvar jhusvar at neo.rr.com
Wed Jan 2 13:16:32 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olwen the Odd" <olwentheodd at hotmail.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Cat-tails (was meat "substitutes"- Rant)

> > >Phlip, who just found an entire pond full of cattails....
> >So... in a meek attempt to drag this thread kicking and screaming back
> >on topic...
> >
> >Are there Medieval recipies for cattails (of the pond growing,
> >vegitative type, not the furry, under foot, animalistic type  although
> >our 7 would provide a good supply for the latter type. :)
> >
> >I've not had them, but hear they are edible....  I assume it's either
> >the leaves, or the seed pods before they turn to fluffy seeds...
> >
> >--
> >be safe,
> >flip
>
> Oh this is a hoot!  I went on the search engine for cattail recipes
because
> I know there are some in the boy scout handbook and Indians used to eat
them
> too.  Here is what I found; http://www.fractalcow.com/cuisine/cats.html

Oh, God, don't, please! ROFL! It hurts!

Seems I've got the flu or somesuch upper
respiratory/joint-ripping/indigestive/etc/etc thingamabob and laughing that
much hurts. Just kicked up the old 'puter to see if maybe Phlip or somebody
or another had mailed and ran into _that_! :)

BTW: My black tom, Plague, says he prefers them without the sauce.

I _almost_ had it arranged to make it to Twelfth Night -- until I woke up
this morning. And denial was working _so_ well too! :(

Oh, well, probably saved half the EK from a minor epidemic.

Johan, who's not thinking overmuchabout cooking because cooking implies
eating and ain't no way for a coupla days!. :)