[Sca-cooks] re:what are your thoughts on period style food?

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Jan 2 13:23:35 PST 2002

At 01:18 PM 01/02/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>>My chef at the time, who was an elderly gentleman (well,
>>gentle at time, ogre at others) was telling me that when *he* was
>>apprenticing, in the early 30's, they would cook bechamel for nearly >two
>>days!
>>
>>Ha!  Ain't it fun? :-)
>
>Ah, and did he have to walk 3 miles, all up hill, in the snow BOTH WAYS to
>and from work/school?  If he did, he must have gone to school where my real
>mom grew up.  I didn't realize brooklyn had all those hills! ;)

Ahhh, Arte, I'd suspect not.  He comes from the South of France.  Not too
much snow that way, though there *are* a few hills :-)

I tend to believe his rendition, as I've heard and seen mentions of similar
long cooking time.  They'd put the sauce or stock at the back of the flat
top and forget it there for a while.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle