[Sca-cooks] THE LIBRARY was Re: Presentation of food at feasts

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 2 14:00:24 PST 2002

"Mark.S Harris" wrote:

> So, what is this library in The Name of the Rose. And what is this
> The Name of the Rose? Is this another one of those obscure movie
> referances like Adamantius keeps coming up with? :-)

STEFAN!!!! You haven't seen Name of the Rose???!!

PUCK- your task, should you choose to accept it, is to tie Stefan down
for a couple hours this weekend and make sure he sees the movie! I'm
sure there are enough folks around who will agree this MUST HAPPEN!

Stefan, the movie is made from a book of teh same name, written by
Umberto Eco. The book is wonderful and very dense with period rhetoric
and philosophy- inserted most cleverly into the text. It is about a
young monk and his master, William of Baskerville, a Frnciscan who is
arriving at a monastery to a conference of monks tryign to defend
themselves against an impending inquisition. Of course a murder occurrs,
and William and his his student solve the murders. There is in the
monastery a vast labyrinth of a library that figures heavily in the
mystery.

In teh movie, William of Baskerville is played by Sean Connery. The bad
guy is F Murray Abraham. And the young monk is... oh dear. Can't
remember his name. Same kid that played Will Scarlet in te Costner Robin
Hood.

See the movie. But go back and read the book too. You won't regret it!

'Lainie