[Sca-cooks] Queens Battle!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 2 14:30:08 PST 2002

'Lainie wrote:
>Who says the fleur-de-lei is French? Certainly not exclusively- it is
>one of the most popular motifs in Florence- sort of the municipal floral
>symbol.

Well, the fleur-de-lys (note spelling - it means "lily flower") is
not just a European thing, either !!! It appears quite commonly in
Mamluk heraldry. And there are examples that predate the Crusades, so
it appears to be a motif that is "native" to Egypt, although no one
seems to know what the Egyptian name of the motif is, so for
convenience it is called "fleur-de-lys" in literature on Mamluk
heraldry

Anahita
10th century Maghribiyya/Andalusiyya who spends a fair amount of time
studying the Mamluks who ruled Egypt and the Levant from 1250 to end
of SCA period (ok, ok, so Egypt was conquered by the Ottoman Turks in
1517, but they left the Mamluks in charge of the regions they had
ruled previously and the culture didn't change much there in the 16th
c.) because there's more stuff that survived in Egypt than in my
time/place

Oh, yeah, and also a herald...