[Sca-cooks] re: truffle oil OOP

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:21:37 PST 2002

>The problem was it then tasted like truffles, the oil completely
> >overpowered any other flavor.
>So my question is to all you good gentles.  Have you ever used truffle
> >oil?=
>  What on and in what amount?  Having paid so much for the experience
> >would like to make the best of it.  But it is so overpowering I am
> >stumped.
>Helewyse de Birkestad

Ming Tsai used it on some dumplings made with Edame.  I bought some of that
oil too to try it.  But I don't think I wrote down the recipe...but here is
what I remember of it (I'm pretty good with asian recipes, so I didn't
bother going after the recipe...tho I might have it somewhere).

Take Edame (about 3 cups or so), boiled in salty water.  Remove once tender.
  Shell them and place in food processor.  Add a dash (maybe a tablespoon or
so) of truffle oil.  Process it until it is smooth, paste like consistency.
Taste to make sure it doesn't need any salt or anything like that.  Make or
buy wonton skins, put spoonful into skin, close with egg wash on edges and
place in boiling water.

It should work...the recipe might still be on the Foodtv.com website too.

Hopefully this helped.

--Arte