[Sca-cooks] Cat-tails (was meat "substitutes"- Rant)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Jan 4 05:45:18 PST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/3/02 11:59:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> ddfr at daviddfriedman.com writes:
>
> << The pollen. It looks like a yellow flour, and getting much of it is a
>  lot of trouble.
>  --
>  David/Cariadoc
>  http://www.daviddfriedman.com/ >>
> Your Grace and anyone out there who may answer these questions:
> Does pollen have the consistency of flour or is it more gritty?
> What does pollen taste like? Could it be used as a sweetner when sugar can
> not be used?
> Could pollen from other edible plants be used?
>
> I'm intrigued that the cattail pollen could be edible.
>
> Misha

A good friend of makes cattail pollen bread every so often (and this being
Minnesota, cattails aren't hard to find) in his bread machine. I still
have a small plastic bag (ziploc sandwich size) full of it that he gave me
that I haven't gotten around to doing anything with. IIRC, you substitute
the pollen for half the flour. It makes a very heavy, dense bread. Not
overly sweet, as I remember it, with a very full flavor in the same way
that buckwheat has a full flavor (although it doesn't taste like
buckwheat).

Margaret