[Sca-cooks] ...thoughts on period-style food?

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Fri Jan 4 10:59:57 PST 2002

>OK, Bethra, I'm one who gets very irritated when
>people start in on "for Modern tastes" because it
>frequently is a phrase used by the ignorant which
>implies that <SNIP>

But Phlip...  One must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath
water.  Frequently used might be, please don't get very irritated the
moment you hear the "modern tastes" thing, the person talking *might* just
be sharing your opinion, or one that you might be able to agree with :-)

>In my opinion, much modern food sucks.

Hear! Hear!

>Now, I'll tell you what I did, to learn about these
>spicings. Very simply, I started making modern dishes
>with which I was quite familiar, but instead of using
>my usual blends, I used ingredients as described in
>some of my Medieval cookbooks. That way, being very
>familiar with the original dishes, I could determine
>what the effect was on the foods

Now, that is a *great* idea that I shall use myself and suggest to
others.  Thank you for sharing this, it is a most helpful idea.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle
aka