[Sca-cooks] Found while shopping... (OOP).

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 11:17:21 PST 2002

It depends on your definition of cooking.  Technically I
cook for myself most nights, because I use the stove to
heat the ramen or the toaster oven to melt the cheese (best
use I've found for that shredded barbecue chicken that
comes in tubs: put it between Greek-style pitas and cheddar
cheese and toast it).

However, there's quite a difference between what I cook for
myself and what I cook if someone else is around.  For
instance, this week: I had a friend visiting over New
Year's so made Chickyns in Hocchee (Pleyn Delit) using game
hens, beets, biscuits (OK, those were from a tube), and
romaine and spinach salad with some vinagrette we put
together at the last minute because I forgot to get any.  I
was thinking of adding baked potatoes but we decided the
ones I have were too small and sprouted to bake and I was
out of pots so we just left them out.  They weren't missed.
 Later we had that shrimp/cocktail sauce/cream cheese thing
for snackies.  The next morning I made waffles with peach
sauce.  Then she went home and I melted some cheese on pita
bread for my dinner.

I consider leftovers to be better than having to cook
something new or make something special for lunch, as long
as I don't have to eat the same thing more than a couple of
times in a row.  This may contribute to the cooking thing,
too, since recipes for only 1-2 servings tend to be
variations on the same handful of ideas.

Dana/Ximena