[Sca-cooks] Mammoth

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 5 22:35:15 PST 2002

Getting frozen is a rare occurence.  It is far rarer than fossilization.  It
is very possible that the mammoths which have been found in that condition
were travelling in an environment that was more hostile than most other
mammals cared to encounter and that they were frozen in a single
catastrophic event.

Other animals have been found frozen, but not necessarily of a similar age
as the mammoths.  The occasional mammal gets found frozen in a glacier,
usually when the leading edge calves.  Not being as newsworthy as a mammoth,
such finds seldom get much publicity.

If you think about it, the most common animal to be found frozen is man,
from the "Iceman" (Otzi) in the Alps to Robert F. Scott in Antarctica to the
drunk that fell asleep in sub-zero weather.

Bear