[Sca-cooks] Ya. It's over. I lived

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Sun Jan 6 16:56:06 PST 2002

    Mine's over too, thank god. My household and the Kiwanis club held our
annual medieval faire this weekend. Attendance was off, we figure around
18,000 or so guests, though after a spat of rain this morning, the weather
was beautiful.
    I did feast for the crew / vendors / wedding guests (our old Seneschal
was marrying one of the Flogger Brothers at the faire) using our cook
trailer and the firepits. I served about 160 assorted drummers, rennies,
merchants, and other ne'er do wells . . . This was NOT an SCA feast - 'twas
all mundane, though weirdly so . . .
    We served fresh (I waited for them to be pulled from the oven at Wally
World) baked french bread & butter with a key-lime cranberry spread that was
also for the turkey, and for salads we had Caesar salad, and a broccoli in
vinaigrette. Both were meat free, just to keep the grazers happy . . .
    For the meats, I had 75 lbs of your basic .98 / lb brisket from Wally
World, 40 lbs of pork blade roast at an absurdly low price, 35 lbs of turkey
breast, and a turducken for the high tables. That's 170 lbs of meat for 160
people. They ate good.
    I put the beef & pork on to smoke w/ mesquite chips at 5 on friday, and
pulled them around 9 the following morning. The meat was just falling apart,
and even after letting them sit for a half hour, they were still falling
apart tender and incredibly juicy. I made a BBQ sauce using a recipe from a
1943 Serviceman's Wife cookbook published at Buckingham field, a local air
strip that was an army training base at the time. The ladies, due to wartime
restrictions, had to be creative. So the main ingredients are OJ, Coca-Cola,
and catsup, all of which were quite plentiful in these parts.
    For veggies, we did acorn squash w/ brown sugar & butter wrapped in foil
then roasted, and your basic parsleyed potatoes. 'Taters, butter, salt,
pepper, parsley. Can't screw it up nohow! Dessert was (surprise!) the
wedding cake. No leftovers, and I am told that several tapeworms were simply
overwhelmed. People have been effusive with their praise, and I just wish
the skinny ones would propose to me on the basis of my cooking for a change
. . .
    All had a really good time, and if y'all know any (quality) merchants
who would like to do a medieval faire in early january (in nice, sunny, warm
florida), we do a good one.

    Sieggy