[Sca-cooks] Working for Adamantius....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 7 15:19:14 PST 2002

Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Well, at many feasts I would have been rather upset if I didn't
> get any at my table. In this case,the mussels didn't make it to our
> table at all. However, I was able to get some when I went to the
> kitchen after the feast.

As we discussed, near the end of the course people who had filled up on
the first course simply told their servers they couldn't eat another
bite if their lives depended on it, and most of the servers were sent on
their merry way. I understand an announcement was made to the effect
that the mussels were available, and anyone who wanted them could come
to the servers' area and get them.

> The mussels were wonderful. I only wish I had been able to eat
> more of them. By then I was pretty stuffed. It was a real shame to
> see so many of the mussels end up in the trash, but it was my
> understanding that they would not keep long, and as I was visiting
> the area, I had no way to try to keep them until I was less stuffed.

I actually brought rather a lot of them back to Puck's house, intending
to eat them cold (hence my earlier conversation with the Baroness
Bridge). I hope Puck and his wife willeventually forgive me for my abuse
of their kitchen...

> As Phlip mentioned in another message, I got to learn how to open
> a lobster at Adamantius' feast. I can now do a rather spiffy job
> if I say so myself. I certainly opened enough of them. An amount
> that would have been pretty expensive at any resturant. Although I
> can easily do the tail portion now, I am still somewhat inconsistant
> when extracting the meat from the claws. But I can get it out. Just
> not always the same way, time after time. And next time I want an
> apron. And a set of goggles. And I want to be sitting at a stool,
> as my back was complaining after stooping over the table so long.
> I finally had to quit for awhile and let someone else take over for
> awhile. :-(

There's a certain angle many cooks tend to lean forward at, which is
very hard on the back. Standign straight up I can do, and bending down I
can do, but leaning forward at about ten degrees from vertical, say,
when cutting onions, I have a problem with... certainly under the
circumstances, taking a break was a good idea.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com