[Sca-cooks] Working for Adamantius....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 8 04:10:18 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous wrote:

 > Is there a particular reason not to sit in the kitchen? I can see why
 >  you wouldn't want to while at the stove. I tell folks not to cast
 > pewter while sitting for instance. If that pewter spills or the pot
 >  gets knocked over, it is much better to be able to quickly move
 > out of the way, rather than having it flow into your lap. But a
 > fair amount of time in the kitchen seems to be done in a single spot
 >  prepping the food. Is it the kitchen congestion? This kitchen was
 > fairly well equiped but it was rather small with some rather tight
 > areas.

Hmmm. Reasons not to sit in the kitchen:

1. Safety, as per your pewter reference, and a general need to be able
to move on a microsecond's notice.

2. The POV of a seated person makes it difficult to see what is going on
relatively nearby.

3. (And this is probably the biggest reason) -- in some situations
involving chopping, rolling, and various other impact-or-force-related
tasks, having access to full arm extension is helpful. Also, a related
aspect is where you are exerting force in relation to your center of
gravity. It's more efficient, I think, to be able to add your body
weight, or at least some of it, to the work at hand, and if you're
sitting this becomes less practical.

 > I might also have expected that doing this leaning over the table bit
 >  would build up the necessary muscles after a while. But if Adamantius
 >  is saying he has trouble with this, then I guess that doesn't
 > happen.

Actually, it does, but for several reasons I'm currently an exception:
at the moment, I'm not as healthy as I was when I worked in kitchens
every day. Some of these muscles have atrophied somewhat, as well as
various joint alignment issues. Suffice it to say that I have a number
of inter-related health problems, most or all of which I expect to
improve shortly.

 > I suspect I was probably leaning over closer to twenty
 > degrees from vertical, perhaps due to my eyesight restrictions.

I noticed that. But I won't quibble over ten degrees... ;-)

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com