[Sca-cooks] Re:Proper Newe Booke was Please Update Your Project Listings

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jan 8 07:48:35 PST 2002

The following is already available for
those interested in this title. It's a good
transcription with glossary of the Corpus
Christi College copy. I will be speaking about
the various editions of this title at the
upcoming Cooks Conference in Colorado.

A PROPER NEWE BOOKE OF COKERYE (London 1545?) may
be found in a 1995 publication by Stuart Press.

A PROPER NEWE BOOKE OF COKERYE (London 1545?)
Anonymous. Transcription edited by Jane Hugget,
with glossary and index. One of the first
cookbooks written for the use of the merchant
class rather than royalty or nobility. Apparently
the earliest cookbook to include recipes for fruit
tarts, also one of the earliest to give reasonably
detailed recipes for making several different types
of pastry. This was a popular cookbook and remained in
print for at least 3 decades. 18 pages. Stapled
softcover booklet. Import.

It's available for only $8.00 from
http://store.yahoo.com/acanthus-books/propnewbooko.html

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Louise Smithson wrote:>
> I'm working of a transcription of "A propre new booke
 of Cokery" published in 1545.
> I have a moderate facsimile copy that is mostly
 legable but there will be a few question marks.
  So far about 5 out of 30 pages are done.