[Sca-cooks] More ...thoughts on period-style food? (long)

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Tue Jan 8 09:01:24 PST 2002

Brangwayna wrote:

> I realize that everyone has a different take on this, and that not everyone
> is interested in trying to be authentic all the time.  I just don't
> understand why :-)   And it really irks me when people think, and say, that
> documentation doesn't matter unless you're doing it for a competition.  You
> see, that has a corollary to me - that because it's the SCA, you should never
> even have to think about authenticity unless you want to win awards.  I think
> people should always think about authenticity and do it the authentic way (or
> at least know the authentic way, even if you have to make substitutions for
> good reasons) because the SCA is all about learning about the middle ages and
> renaissance.  How can you learn about anything if you blow off the authentic
> manner totally unless you are doing it for competition???

Hrm, I feel the same way about this as you do, and I agree entirely that
documentation isn't *just* for competitions.  However, I wouldn't expect
people to actually write up their documentation for other peoples'
consumption unless they're running a class, entering a display or
competition, or their work is otherwise particularly visible.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/