[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Wed Jan 9 06:53:24 PST 2002

In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:
> Try it at one of mine
> 3 carnivores (have veg gone NEAR this?)
> 2 vegatarians
> 1 vegan.(has meat been near this?)
> 1 allergic to meat
> 3 onion allergies
> 1 nut allergy
> 1 wheat intolerant
> and a son who has a wierd digestion and can only tolerate some things some
> days. !!!!

We had, in our immediate circle:

- one vegetarian-ish who could sometimes cope with "invisible" meat such
  as meat stock, but preferred not to
- one outright vegetarian, "did meat touch this?"
- one allergic to mushrooms
- one allergic to cooked nightshades (raw tomato/peppers were fine)
- one very sensitive to spicy-hot foods
- one chronically ill person with dietary restrictions which disallowed:
    - dairy
    - eggs
    - most grains (rice and corn OK)
    - much sugar
    - anything fermented or fungal, incl. soy sauce etc
    - most preservatives and other chemical additives
    - only allowed small amounts of meat
- one near-carnivore who required meat twice a day

When they *all* came round for dinner on the same night, it got ugly.

K.

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/