[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 11:16:21 PST 2002

--- Tara Sersen Boroson <tsersen at nni.com> wrote:

> Going back to the origination of this thread, it
> wasn't clear if the
> gentle in question said "I'm not staying for the
> feast because I'm a
> vegetarian," and had someone say "Don't worry, we
> can accomodate you!"
> and run off to the kitchen to do so, or "Oh, you
> want me to stay for the
> feast?  You'll have to make it vegetarian!"  That
> makes a big difference
> in the point I was trying to make!

Actually, it was pretty simple. Marian came into the
kitchen and mentioned to Adamantius that an
entertainer wanted to stay for feast, was vegetarian,
and would there be enough fo him to eat. Adamantius
went to the wall where the feast menu and ingredients
were posted, and looked at the ingredients and said
that certain items were completely veggie, and
mentioned that certain others could be depending on
what he ate, and was willing to make up certain other
items for veggie needs.

I didn't have much choice about overhearing the
conversation because it occured 2 ft behind where I
was standing, up to my elbows in venison blood-
besides, I was interested in how he'd deal with it.

> Basically, no beef or pork (unless it's organic and
> free-range.)  I have
> a couple other preferences, but none of them are big
> deals - I don't
> care for mushrooms or large amounts of hard cheese,
> but will gladly eat
> around them.  I'm trying to limit my poultry to the
> organic, free-range
> variety also, but I don't get up in arms about that
> one.  I found an
> awesome farm nearby that sells organic meats raised
> and slaughtered
> right there on-site.  With awesome prices!  Woo-hoo!

OK, why this free-range/organic thing? This is an
honest question. I have some comprehension of the
"poor little critter" and religious vegetarianisms,
but why this twist on it?

My take on the entire deal is to try to butcher my own
meats at least once a year, so that I never forget
that I'm dealing with a living creature, and accept
the responsibility for my actions, and allow myself to
pretend meat comes painlessly from a meat factory, but
considering how often, and how recently, I've been
actually hungry, I get very irritated at folk who turn
their noses up at perfectly good (in my eyes) food.

Of course, I can be guilty of refusing certain foods
too- most notably bell peppers and black licorice
flavors- but trying to eat something that makes you
want to regurgitate immediately, supposing you can get
it past your nose in the first place, is rather
counter-productive.

Phlip