[Sca-cooks] Re: Sugar Plate/Paste; Stained Glass Sugar

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Wed Jan 9 19:41:29 PST 2002

>>Any suggestions for natural blue coloring besides cornflowers? I
>>don't care if it isn't exactly heraldic blue.
>
>Maybe Cindy Renfrow will pop in here.  Do you have the C.A. that we
>did on period food colorings?  (Mine's not handy.)  We listed what
>was cited as used.  However, for sugar paste, the period thing would
>have been to paint on it.  I would suggest using slightly liquified
>modern food paste colors.  They are edible and are a safer
>substitute than what the period person would have painted with.

Hi Anahita.

If you want something period & edible, either Borage flowers or bluebottles
in corn (Campanula or Scilla species) or other edible blue flowers powdered
& mixed with sugar. Turnsole was used, but I haven't been able to find any.

I don't recommend using any of these limner colors on an edible project:
Azure/blew, indigo, woad, elder bark, ultramarine, smalt (ground glass),
blew bice/blew verditure (artificial copper carbonate), flory (?), kermes
mixed with azure, litmus (lichens), verdigris.

Cindy