[Sca-cooks] what are your thoughts on period-style food?

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Thu Jan 10 02:47:12 PST 2002

To come in very late...

Gumbo

Spaghetti sauce

Does anyone living right now make it the same way as anyone else outside of
their family? Would you tell someone in all seriousness that their way of
making the dish was wrong, and yours was right? (And let me tell you, gumbo
is a fighting category where I come from.)

For documentational purposes, I think recipes are very necessary - but I
also keep in mind that medieval people ran out of supplies (at times), had
too many of something going bad (at times), had personal tastes that
determined the amounts of ingredients... and found that they preferred their
version. I think a certain amount of leeway is necessary - not documentable,
but certainly no different than "Oh, yes, certainly Lady X's cook uses
parsnips in his boogle-brindy, but that doesn't mean that *I* will! Him and
his common palate... humpf!"

(Please insert smilie faces or whatever is necessary to convey the
mildly-devilish tone I'm trying for in this message)

Rosine