[Sca-cooks] automatic chicken plucker

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jan 10 08:51:01 PST 2002

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> I have no idea what an Epilady thing is so I can't tell you if it's the
> same.  An automatic chicken plucker is a machine that looks a little like an
> old mimeograph machine, in that it has a largeish drum that turns.  The drum
> has a bunch of finger length rubber "fingers" on it.  You plug it in, turn
> it on, scald your dead birds and hold them close enough to the "fingers" so
> as to have the feathers knocked off.  You must keep rotating the bird to
> different positions and have to keep steady on the proximity to the
> "fingers" else you get the skin all ripped or else you end up having to do a
> lot of hand plucking for cleanup.  It's quite a site actually.  Feathers,
> blood and sweat flying everywhere!
> Olwen

Sounds like an Epilady to me! :-/

Epilady is this thing that came out a few years back- it has a set of
rotating spring coils, and the idea was that the coils would catch the
hair (legs, basically, or at least that was what they marketed the thing
for) and rip it out. And then it would stay gone for awhile until the
follicles recovered. Of course, there were quite a few jokes about the
screams when one was in use. I never had the guts, myself. Rather risk
the occasional razor nick.

'Lainie