[Sca-cooks] chicken plucking

Rob Downie rdownie at icenter.net
Thu Jan 10 17:15:39 PST 2002

Very true, we used to slaughter them in the basement and then hose it down
afterwards.  The table we used still smells chickeny several years later.  Then
my father built the garage and we changed to doing it in there.  The smell didn't
linger quite as long there, probably due to better air circulation and more
thourough hosing down of the area. We're quite lucky none of the neighbors ever
complained, since you're not supposed to have livestock in city limits anyway.

When I was still quite young, I got the exciting job of stirring the blood, then
graduated to plucking.  I didn't like the plucking much, you get dishpan hands,
only worse and it's hard to get all of the little "hairs" left behind.  They
didn't let me graduate to cavity cleaning till I got older.

I still get teased on occasion about the so called ritual sacrifices in our
basement, and for the time when I was 4 or so and got to take a quick ride on a
sheep before it became dinner.  Brings new meaning to the phrase "playing with
your food".

Faerisa