Fwd: Re: [Sca-cooks] Butchering

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 07:08:31 PST 2002

>>Kind of hard to follow if there are a bunch of different animals
>>being butchered at once. Doing that one sheep took a fair amount
>>of time.
>
>Lambs are fairly complicated animals, as opposed to birds...
>
>>Well, at least with my digital camera I could take a series of
>>pictures and be able to review later what I miss or forget.
>
>Gorgeous Muiredach

This reminded me of the last time I did a 'lamb'.  My girlfriend was telling
me she had a wetter for me and having been to her farm and knowing her stock
I kept wondering where the little thing was.  Turns out the "wetter" was way
over a year old!  Almost full grown in size.  It took two of us to sit on
him when he was slaughtered (creepy) and we had to bring out the big block
and tackle to hang him in the barn.  I had a fellow with me who had helped
with fowl before and was interested in doing a bigger animal.  Well, being
me, I said, "gee, I'll skin him out then you can clean him up".  So I have a
go at getting a decent hide off then turn the knife over to Steve who
proceeded to nick a bowel then tried to give the knife back to me.  Well...I
was standing in the doorway of the barn from the stench and would have
nothing to do with it!  Eventually Steve finally got the thing cleaned out
enough to hose it down but man, the look on his face!  He kept saying stuff
like "it's hot in here!"  "why is it steaming?".  Well, I picked the good
stuff out of the wheelbarrow then had him go dig a big hole and bury the
rest.
Olwen who ate lamb for months