[Sca-cooks] Re: chicken plucking

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Fri Jan 11 09:36:36 PST 2002

The Hasidic slaughterhouse where I am posted at does uses water - cold
water, to pluck their poulty. However, I believe that is because you have to
use water when using an automatic picker, otherwise the picker will
overheat, and the rubber fingers will melt. Since cold water isn't as good
as hot to remove feathers, kosher poulty has been given a feather exemption
by the USDA.
On the other hand, the Ostrich Plant does dry pluck their birds by hand.
Beatrix of Tanet