[Sca-cooks] what are your thoughts on period-style food?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jan 11 13:50:27 PST 2002

> So far as "personal tastes that determined the amount of
> ingredients," changing the amount of ingredients isn't a change in
> the recipe unless the recipe tells you how much to use, and it
> usually doesn't.

However, it's a major change in the results, in some cases. If I make
cameline with one spice instead of another (as long as I'm not
substituting nutmeg or something for cinnamon) I will get a less different
sauce than if I use a cup instead of a teaspoon of sugar.

We could, by statistical analysis, say something about what certain
cultures thought of as similar ingredients. Since the recipes don't tell
us much about quantities, we can only infer the quantities by
extrapolation from purchase records.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa