[Sca-cooks] chicken plucking

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Jan 11 15:13:14 PST 2002

Liadan said:
> We always threw the feathers away. Have you ever smelled a wet chicken? Ick!

I don't think so. Is it worse than wet dog?

People were talking about this chicken plucking smelling bad in
earlier messages, but I thought they must be burning the feathers. I
guess not.

So, what did the medieval folks do with all those feathers?  I
think as recently as the Vietnam War the US Army was using
chicken feathers in their sleeping bags. So I imagine the medieval
folks were doing something with them. They found uses for a lot of
things that were seem to just throw out. Sometimes the reverse is
true as well.

Stefan